Forres GP Practices

Close this search box.

Ask for help online. It’s simple, secure, and quick.

What to do when we are closed

Emergencies out-of-hours

When the Practices are closed, there is an out-of-hours emergency medical service run by GMED. This service is only for urgent and emergency problems and should not be used otherwise. If you need help out-of-hours, you should telephone 111. Trained staff located at the call control centre will handle your enquiry.  

On dialling 111, a team of fully trained advisers and experienced nurses will assess your condition and direct you to the service that can help you best. You may be advised to contact us when we are open, or you may be advised you will get a call back from the out-of-hours GP service run by GMED. You may also be advised to go to A&E, the emergency dental service or a late-opening pharmacy. The 111 service is in operation 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

NHS 24 can provide the same service to deaf, hard-of-hearing and speech-impaired people as long as they have a text-phone. 

Remember the Out of Hours Service is for urgent problems only. Please do not contact the service for a second opinion or for anything which can wait until the next working day.

If you have a minor ailment, you could visit your local pharmacy. They will be able to provide you with some help or signpost you to the next available service.

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and/or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.

Mental Health Crisis?

You should call 999 or go to A&E if you, or someone you know, experiences a life-threatening medical or mental health emergency. These are cases where there is immediate danger to life or physical injury. A mental health emergency should be taken as seriously as a medical emergency. If you feel like you may be close to acting on suicidal thoughts or have seriously harmed yourself, you should call 999 or go to A&E directly if you need immediate help and are worried about your safety.